Journal of Medical and Biological Science
Research Paper|Published December 2020|Vol. 6 (5): 69-73.
Preliminary Screening of Phytoconstituents and Anti-Bacterial Examination of Annona muricata and Cucumbita maxima Leaves
Department of Chemistry, Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, P.M.B. 5047, Rumuolumeni, Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
Dried leaves of Annona muricata and Cucumbita maxima were extracted using chloroform, methanol and hexane solvents. The extracts were analysed for phytoconstituents using standard procedures. A preliminary test was also carried out on the anti-bacterial properties of the different solvent extracts against S. aureus, V. cholera and E. coli. Phytochemical analysis of Annona muricata and Cucumbita maxima showed the presence of alkaloids, fats and oil, tannins, saponins, flavonoids, terpenoids, steroids and proteins. However, glycosides were not detected in any of the plant extracts and coumarins were not detected in A. muricata and flavonoids were not detected Cucumbita maxima. The growth of S. aureus was inhibited in chloroform and hexane extracts of A muricata and hexane and methanol extract of C. maxima. The growth of V. cholera was inhibited to varying degrees by the extracts from all the solvents, while E. coli was only inhibited in hexane extracts of both plants. The results observed revealed that both plants can serve useful purposes in traditional medicine and can be harnessed for scientific design in drug synthesis and production.
Keywords: Phytochemicals, screening, solvent extracts, Annona muricata and Cucumbita maxima, anti-bacterial.
- Journal of Agricultural Science and Food Technology (JASFT)
- Journal of Medical and Biological Science Research (JMBSR)
- Journal of Scientific Research and Essays (JSRE)
- Research Journal of Educational Studies and Review (RJESR)
- Journal of Physical Science and Environmental Studies (JPSES)
- Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (RJET)
- Pearl Journal of Management, Social Science and Humanities (PJMSSH)